Thursday, December 12, 2013

12 Best New(ish) Holiday Songs

12 Best New(ish) Holiday Songs

With about 12 days left before Christmas, here is my list of the 12 best new(ish) holiday songs.  Some songs were released this year, the oldest was released in the 1980s.  To make the list it had to be a happy song - I know holidays can bring up mixed emotions, and I love some of the darker holiday songs ("Father Christmas" by the Kinks and "Fairytale of New York" by the Pogues come to mind), but I'm going for more upbeat songs here!

Some of the songs are Christmas, some are winter in general, one is even just about light, but they all seem to fit in with the season.  Read the list and add your favorites that I missed in the comments!

12. (It Must Have Been Ol') Santa Claus
 Harry Connick, Jr.

I've loved this song since it came out, a lot of fun with a surprise ending!

11.  You'll Never Find my Christmas 
Bishop Allen
Target put out a free Holiday Album a few years ago with some great tracks including this one, you'll see a few more on the list!

10. Baby, It's Cold Outside (Glee Version) 
Darren Criss (Blaine) and Chris Colfer (Kurt)
Fantastic duet here, and to my mind one of the first times on prime time tv featuring a love song by a same sex couple!  They have such great chemistry here.

9. God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman/We Three Kings 
Barenaked Ladies Featuring Sarah McLachlan
I love both Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLachlan, but despite being great musicians from Canada, I usually don't think of them together.  However, they are fantastic on this Christmas mashup.  (More mashups later!)

8. Mrs. Claus Aint's Got Nothin' On Me 
Little Jackie
Another gem from Target!  I love the empowerment here that Christmas can be hectic, but she is handling it with fierceness.

7. Nova
VNV Nation
This one is not technically a holiday song, but it is all about light and renewal, so it could be Christmas, Hannukah, Diwali or Kwanzaa!  It sounds good on my Holiday playlist.
  
6. There'll Be No Tomorrow 
Erasure
This is the newest song on the list, from Erasure's 2013 album.  Great New Year's Eve song! I like holiday songs that you can dance to.

5. You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch 
Whirling Dervishes
I know I said no negative songs, but for me knowing how the Grinch ends, I feel like it belongs here.  And the Whirling Dervishes do a great job on the song!  I just wish they had done the whole thing...

4. Christmas Wrapping 
The Waitresses
The oldest song on the list, but always one of my favorites (I am a child of the 80s). Another surprise ending!

3. Deck the Rooftop 
Glee Cast
One more Glee song and one more mashup!  This was a great mix of these two songs and a great performance.  My kids like to each take one of the songs when they sing it.

2. All I Want for Christmas 
Mariah Carey
I must confess that I am not a big Mariah fan, but I love this song.  It is so infectious, and again great for dancing!

1. Tiny Tree Christmas 
Guster
This is probably the song I most look forward to every year (also from Target!).  It doesn't discount the melancholy that sometimes comes with the holidays, but manages to incorporate it into the joy of the holidays.


Have a great holiday!  
What songs did I miss?  Add your own favorites in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment